Monday, January 24, 2011

Why do the cameras on phones still suck?

For 2011 I have decided to slim down on the "stuff" that I have accumulated over the years, and this includes the Flip I am currently charging to make sure it still functions.  I tested it out earlier by taking some video and then viewing it to make sure its only function still works.

What I immediately noticed upon viewing the video I took of my cat snoring is that the Flip's camera is really good in low light conditions, and it made me wonder why, in 2011, can't smart phones produce the same kind of quality that this little Flip can?

I used my Droid X (Motorola) to take HD video of my daughter opening up her Christmas presents this year and I was more than a little disappointed with the grainy quality that I got back and I thought to myself that if this is a top of the line smart phone, then why is the video quality so poor?  

The real answer seems to be that a lot of manufacturers also sell cameras (though I don't believe Motorola does) and they purposely put low end cameras in these phones to keep costs down and to push people into buying cameras and video recorders to obtain better quality pictures and video, even so, this bugs me because I know they are capable of doing better, the manufacturers just choose not to.

Another problem that arises is that the manufacturers of these devices still seem to be stuck on megapixel count even though it's been debunked over and over again.  Megapixels do not equal a better quality digital image or video and I think the majority of consumers realize this now (unless they're stuck back in 2004), so why do these companies continue to push megapixel count and forget about quality all together?  Do they really think that consumers are not aware that a higher megapixel count can actually cause more hot spots (grain) on an image than a lower count and better quality camera or video recorder? Or are Americans still really stuck on the idea that a higher pixel count means better.  Are we as consumers still this uneducated in this day and age?....... Ok, I work in Tech Support so I know the answer to this is a big YES, but c'mon, why can't some of these companies start breaking from this pattern and start producing and selling a better quality camera that can be integrated into our smartphone.  My carrying case that I have to lug with me everywhere I go is only so big, after all.
  

Am I the only one that feels this way?  Aren't we all tired of carrying around a multitude of devices to do a job that we know for a fact could be performed quite well by a single device?


No comments:

Post a Comment