Monday, January 24, 2011

Tablet devices, their price points, and how they measure up to notebooks

So what's the deal here? A Motorola Xoom is going to run $699.00 at launch, but it still has the functionality of a smart phone. You can get a full sized and powered notebook for at or less than that these days and that includes a keyboard.

Tablets are destined to take over the netbook and possibly the low end notebook segments, but until I can sit down and write a full 450 page novel on one, it's not going to happen. These devices are in their infancy and they are extremely limited in what they can do, but companies like Motorola seem to think that it's ok to price these devices well into the notebook range, and they expect to sell a LOT of them. Maybe someday, but not right now.

The fact of the matter is that the O.S's being offered, and the applications being offered, do not give you the full notebook experience. They suffer from exactly the same limitations as the apps on our smartphones. Currently, even a netbook can do better than what these devices offer.

If Apple and Motorola want to see these devices push out the netbook and low end notebook, then they need to get to work on a full range of productivity applications that are just as good, if not better, than what we can get on our notebooks.

Don't get me wrong, I've been intensely interested in a tablet/keyboard combo so that I can sell a couple of my full sized notebooks and further slim down my electronic clutter, but I need applications for those devices that will allow me to use them as I would my notebooks, and unfortunately we're just not there yet.

When I can tap out a novel on one of these things, complete with illustrations, then we'll see. Until then, I'm stuck with my notebooks.

No comments:

Post a Comment