Thursday, October 21, 2010

So I bought this Android phone, what can I do with it?

Most people use their phones for making calls, texting, recording video, and taking pictures, and they use a notebook for everything else.  Well, I work in a building where notebooks aren't allowed, but I've managed to get around the Nazi regime that I work for by using my Android phone to do most of what I need to get done during the day.

I purchased a Motorola Droid X (upgraded from a Crapberry) for the purpose of having a slightly larger screen so I could control my Notebook (HDX18t, affectionately known as Monster) while I am at work or otherwise on the go.

I utilize three basic apps on my phone to do this.  I have an App that allows me to Remote in to my PC, I have an app to sync files between my phone and my PC, and I have a remote torrent app for adding torrents while I am away from my PC.


  • PhoneMyPc --- $9.99 while in Beta
  • Dropbox --- File Syncing between my computer and phone (Free) 
  • Torrent-Fu --- Used to add torrents (need a client such as uTorrent for this to work) (Free)
These three apps allow me to do pretty much everything I need to while I am away from Monster during the days. Eventually PhoneMyPc will have file transfer capability, but in the mean time Dropbox works great and does the job nicely, so if you are looking to do more during the course of your day but can't carry a notebook with you, try these three apps, I think you will find them well worth your time and productivity. 

Note: The Dropbox link is a referral and boosts my storage space by 250 megabytes per click through.

No comments:

Post a Comment