Thursday, October 14, 2010

Astonishingly Stupid

I am always amazed at how technologically impaired people still are in this day and age, and yet, every day I am reminded of this one single fact: Some people are astonishingly stupid.  Take this recent call I had for instance...

This client calls in to complain that his printer isn't working wirelessly as he was told it would. I verified with him the model of the product, and yes it was actually a product capable of being wireless on the network.

Customer: "So, I'm really frustrated right now because I was told this printer is wireless!"

Me: "Well sir, based on the information you gave me, this is true, it is wireless."

Customer: "Uhh, no it's not. It's not printing. I try to print and it does nothing."

Me: "I'm sorry about that sir, but I am sure we can get that fixed for you.  Is the wireless indicator lit on the printer?"

Customer: "No.  Where is that located?"

Me: "It would be on the top of the printer, next to the status indicator."

Customer: "Ok hang on a second, let me pull the printer out of the box so I can see it better."

At this point I'm a little confused, but I roll with it and let him remove it from the box. I've had people put their printers in closets and cabinets before, so why not a box?

Customer: "Ok, No there are no lights on it at all, and I just tried printing again and it's not doing anything."

Me: "Sir, is the printer plugged in and powered on?"

Customer: "What do you mean plugged in? It's supposed to be wireless."

At this point I put the customer on a brief hold so that I can have a good laugh with my co-workers.  When that's done. I take the customer off hold and thank him for waiting.

Me: "Alright sir, let's go ahead and plug the a/c cord into the printer and an a/c outlet, then let's power on the device by pressing the power button on the top of the unit."

Customer: "But that's not wireless! If I have to have a cord running to it, then it is W-I-R-E-D."

Right about now the customer's attitude has really taken a turn for the worse.  And he's also put me in a position where I am going to have to explain to him exactly what wireless, in this context, means, thus making him feel completely stupid, but I try to break it to him as gently as possible.

Me: "I'm sorry sir, but wireless means that you do not need a cable to transmit data from the router to the printer.  Because technology hasn't advanced to the point of being able to provide electricity wirelessly, the printer still needs to be plugged into an A/C outlet."

The customer pauses for about 30 seconds to take this in. Then...

Customer:"What's a router? I need a router? Where does it say I need a router?"

Me: "It's a device that is used to allow data to be transferred over the air to all the devices that are connected to it wirelessly.  Do you have a wireless router sir?"

Customer: "Well this is stupid. I pay good money for this piece of crap and now I have to go buy a damned router to make it work?  What the hell is wrong with your company. My BlahBlah product wasn't this complicated to set up!"  *Click*

Yes, it really did happen.




TIP
Removing The Phoenix Failsafe Software From Your Computer


If you don't know what it is, then this doesn't concern you.  Phoenix Failsafe was a software used for securing  notebooks against theft.  It was offered for a while on several different brands but some months back the division was sold off by Phoenix (Maker of Motherboard BIOS software) and hence, the company is no longer in business.  The problem here is that there is no way to remove the pre-install package without software from Phoenix Failsafe.  However, finding the software is next to impossible unless you know where to look, and even then you could be looking for hours.  So for all you people who are sick of those pop-ups showing up when you are trying to work or watch a show on your computer, the solution can be located here:   Phoenix Failsafe Removal Software


Once the patch has run you should have no more issues with those annoying pop-ups



Quick Buy Tip
Buy an HP Envy instead of a Macbook or Macbook Pro


The P.C. scene is catching up to Mac on design, it's been slow going, but I really like the new HP Envy products.  The HP Envy 13 is way over-priced, but the rest of the HP Envy line is quite stylish, lightweight, power, and reasonably priced.  So before you get sucked into Apple's advertising campaign, consider sticking with a PC.














-----
P.S. The box he removed it from was the packaging. The man hadn't taken it out of the box yet....  He had just opened the top of the box and tried to start printing "wirelessly"

No comments:

Post a Comment